Monday, September 28, 2009

Notes on inconsequential developments in my current listenings and possibly concerning my recent relationship with blogospheric hype more generally

Less than a week after its actual release, I feel (somewhat) comfortable saying that I am "over" Girls' Album. I bought into the hype, and I was really into a few of the leaked tracks. I continue to really like "Hellhole Ratrace," "Lauren Marie," and a few others. Indeed, the highs are high. But the rest is beginning to seem like fluff. I fear this may be a record which quickly finds its way out of my rotation. Reminds me a bit of VietNam, in whom I also lost interest a few weeks into a short-lived captivation yet still sort of like when I hear them. Maybe all this rain is just getting to me. I did find the tracks to be generally more satisfying while in San Diego last week. Anyway. Moving on.


I am an unabashed fan of M. Ward and My Morning Jacket and was/sometimes think I still might be a(n abashed) fan of Bright Eyes. So obvi I was thrilled that they were finally working on a Monsters of Folk album. But then I was disappointed when I heard the first single, "Say Please." But then I was reinvigorated when I downloaded the full album and dug it straight through. And now I even like "Say Please." (Not sure what happened there.) Highs: All of it. In particular, "Man Named Truth," "The Sandman, the Brakeman and Me," "Magic Marker." But really all of it.


I ignored everything I read about Washed Out. Not sure why. Didn't even give him a listen. So much hype around so many bands in '09, maybe. I've been leaning on some old standards lately: Neil Young, John Prine, Dinosaur Jr., Beatles, others. (Glad U2 played "Ultraviolet" on SNL this weekend.) From the words around the blogs, I assumed Wavves - Rock = Washed Out. I was not interested. Preemptive backlash. Then I gave in. Glad I did. The general impression and resultant formula might be accurate, but I like it no less. For now, anyhow. Like a lo-fi indie poptart.

Maybe I'm just too fickle these days.

New hype preview: 7 Worlds Collide. I've got my eye on you.

Download:
Monsters of Folk - "The Sandman, the Brakeman and Me"

No comments: