Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Excerpts of a convo about new tunes had among the lazy SITKOT bloggers



SITKOT's been a little quiet lately for no good reason, but our stereos have not. Here's what we're listening to, as discussed over some snowy e-mails this morning:

El Loco Mooso:

My favorite albums so far this year are:

Owen Pallet - Heartland

and

Hot Chip - One Life Stand

That is all.

Jimmy:

I agree that Owen Pallet is one of the top albums so far. My list would also include:

Beach House - Teen Dream
Spoon - Transference

I'm a little underwhelmed by the new Yeasayer album. The first half is very good and on par with their first album, which I thought was awesome. The second half of the album doesn't do it for me. While Spoon's new album gets stronger towards the end, it's almost as if Yeasayer ran out of ideas. I may just have to give it a few more listens though until I make a final decision.

The new Beach House is awesome from beginning to end. Definitely my favorite so far this year.

El Loco Mooso:

Yeah, totally agree.

And those are interesting because so far, I've only listened to the first couple songs from the Yeasayer and Spoon albums and my initial impression was the opposite of yours, which makes sense. The BH album that I have listened to so far has been good. I'll have to listen a little more though. I think I’ve always been drawn to good electronica which is why im digging the new hot chip.

Roberto:

Wow, I'm way behind. I have to confess that of all these, I've only heard about half of Yeasayer and 3/4 of Beach House, and the latter only because Jimmy accidently burned two copies and I got the benefit of that mistake. What kind of a sh*tty rockblogger am I?

Oh yeah, and Spoon I guess. As I was telling Jimmy, I like it better than their past records just because it's more consistently pretty good. No great standouts, but no blatant filler either. A slight departure for them in that regard. Sort of reminds my of a watered down Veckatimest, which I keep liking more and more. So maybe Transference will be a grower?

El Loco Mooso:

Oh and for any black metal fans out there [crickets] Immortal’s All Shall Fall is a-m-a-z-i-n-g.

Btw, Hot Chip's One Life Stand is already on Grooveshark. Go listen to it over and over.

Get on the ball, Roberta.


EDITOR'S NOTE: For the record, Henry mentioned that he's been listening to a lot of Neil Young lately, as have I--Prairie Wind and On the Beach in particular. (And, for your FYI, Henry also hinted at a possible blogging comeback.)

4 comments:

Bowman-p said...

"Zebra" from Beach House might be my favorite track of 2010. I agree with the thoughts about Yeasayer, although I haven't quite absorbed it yet. After enjoying the hell out of Transferrence, I have come to accept that I am a devoted Spoon fan and will probably always like anything they put out, even if it sounds only slightly different. Cool discussion guys, keep it up.

Brendan Lupetin said...

If only I knew that my inner most emails were going to be used as fodder for SITKOT....I would have tried to seem so much more cool.

One Life Stand by Hot Chip is great. I cannot say enough about this album. If you purchase the album on iTunes there are also two interesting bonus tracks. One is a remix and the other is soundbites from the band talking about what influenced various songs on the albums. I always love that kind of stuff and wish bands/artists would do that type of thing more often.

Also, my email was not posted where I stated that "Boys Who Rape" by the Raveonettes is one of the best songs out this year.

Lastly, the song "All Shall Fall" by Immortal really is a great metal track. But what is even more entertaining is watching some of Immortal's videos on YouTube. Swedish guys dressed as more creepy versions of Kiss playing black metal on mountain tops. It's like new age yodeling. Enjoy...

Brendan Lupetin said...

I just reread the title of this post. I see that Blogger is plural. I hope JR and myself are not getting unfairly lumped in as "lazy" bloggers.

I only have one mediocre post done as a guest spot. I'd post moar but but most of my spare time is already spent creating dynamic copy for my own, ahem, highfalutin blog. JR however, has contributed some great content. Personally, I'm thinking you should cut him in on some of your massive AdSense revenue as an incentive to keep the good posts coming.

lazy bloggers.....

JR said...

Thanks Mooso - I appreciate the support. If the AdSense revenue ever gets above a $1 in any given month, I might start requesting my share.