Monday, April 12, 2010

Another Wilco Review!?

Well, not really - Roberto and JR nailed down the details pretty well and I'm not typically one for remembering that "that one note on that one song..." But holy crappamolie that was a killer concert - so here are my quick hits:

1) Glenn Kotche is a heckofa drummer. My two blogging chronies are axe-men so their Nels Cline fawning isn't surprising, or unmerited. But as a drummer with lofted seats, my aerial view afforded me perfect fixation on Glenn's movements for the first third of the show. Those interested can check out his Wilco kit here. His movement between such a tightly wound mess of equipment is at once deftly economical and perfectly spot-on.
1b) Note to our Aussie readers: Nels and Glenn will be playing an "improv jazz" duet at the Melbourne Jazz Fest on May 7. Those of you down-under should not miss it and let us know if you go, JR is thinking about making the trip.

2) I haven't been to a show with so much pre-concert, expectant energy in a while. You really got the sense you were a part of something special amidst a who's who of Pittsburgh music lovers. The grandeur of the venue certainly played a part in the excitement - a tremendous hall save for the 80 or so obstructed view seats that Roberto mentioned and the thick, stinky air.

3) I didn't care much for the acoustic set. It was a nice way to break up a marathon show, but as such it felt like more of a sideshow than an exposition. I am, however, always a fan of kitschy floorlamps for creating acoustic set intimacy. Nice fringed lampshades, fellas.

4) Damn that's a small stage! I first noticed how small it was back when Feist and her band were crowded in there last year. But with Wilco's packed laboratory of amplification and instrumentation, Nels' spastic movements were held in check. Whether or not the stage benefits the performance, it's always refreshing to see big bands who play big stages in big venues reign it in a little.

5) The PG made a big deal about Wilco joining a "supposed 2:45 minute club" - typically Springsteen, Phish, Dead territory. An interview I read quoted Tweedy saying that the goal of this tour is to "leave (the fans) wanting less" and play as long as they're allowed. By any account, I'm sure no one left feeling like they didn't get their money's worth.

I certainly couldn't have asked for more and will be eagerly anticipating my next "Evening (into early morning) with Wilco".

No comments: