Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Elvis Costello on Conan

Elvis Costello's newest record, Secret, Profane & Sugarcane, is an interesting foray into bluegrass instrumentation over non-standard arrangements and Costello's masterful wit and delivery. While I'm not going to say it keeps me enthralled the whole way through, I'll say that more than half the songs are great enough to merit its purchase. I'll also say it was a perfect soundtrack for a drive through the mountains of Virginia.

He performed my favorite track from the album, "Sulphur to Sugarcane," on Conan last night. Unfortunatley, he seems to have left out one of my favorite lyrics of this year so far: "I gave up married women 'cause I heard that it's a sin / but now I'm back in Pittsburgh, I might take it up again / because they gargle with the finest champagne / you can't get from the grape and grain." He skipped that one on Letterman, too, which means you'll have the buy the album to hear the full tune in all its drawn out glory.

*Henry's Travel Update: Elvis and the 'Canes will be playing the historic Chautauqua Amphitheater in the Chautauqua Institution Saturday, August 29, 8:15 p.m. Given that it's just a short 2.5hour drive up 279, it'd be an ideal overnight trip to a regional gem for any 'Burgh-bound Costello fan.

Download:
Elvis Costello - "Sulphur to Sugarcane" (live on Letterman, June 4, 2009)

No comments: