Friday, March 26, 2010

Corey Harris in Oakland on Saturday

For months, since Calliope announced it was bringing Corey Harris in as part of its concert series this year, I've been racking my brain trying to remember how I first heard Harris. I've been a fan since hearing some track from Greens from the Garden and buying it almost immediately. I know it was the summer of 2000. But was it the driving beat of "Basehead"? His delta take on Woody Guthrie's "Teabag Blues"? On college radio? In a record store? What's the difference; I'm psyched for the show either way.

I've seen Harris twice now with his electric band--great stuff, but I've always been drawn most to his acoustic work, so this will be a welcome first for me. With harmonica master Phil Wiggins at his side, I expect tomorrow's show to be a highlight of my year.

Blue Notes wrote a little about what to expect, which you can read here.

1 comment:

JR said...

Great recommendation! This show was absolutely awesome. Wiggins is a complete master of the harmonica and tore it up on almost every single song. The quote of the night from none other than Roberto himself was "Any guy who can play a song using only a harmonica and keep me interested the entire time is pretty incredible" or something to that effect.