Sunday, March 21, 2010

My current obsession: Julieta Venegas

When I was younger, my dad had generally good taste in music. Certainly better than today anyway. But he had a bad habit of picking a favorite track and replaying it ad nauseum. CSN's "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" recalls in my mind a particularly long drive to the beach one year. "Snowman" from Genesis' Then There Were Three never fails to deliver my memories to the backseat of his Wagoneer, wishing he would just let the cassette play through. Peter Gabriel's "Don't Give Up" was probably his worst ever, while on Pink Floyd's The Division Bell he found several favorites, and soon thereafter he moved beyond that phase, thankfully.

Anyway, point being, I seem to have fallen into the same pattern myself during this last week. I cannot get enough of Julieta Venegas' "Bien o Mal" (that's "Good or Bad" in gringo speak). I listened to it on repeat for about 45 minutes today while running, and I'm still not tired of it.

Her new album, Otra Cosa, is excellent all the way through. I really do like every song on it. But I find that I almost have to force myself to let it play past Track 2 without seeking back, and most times I lose that battle of will power. So I've given up. I have no idea how many times I listened to this song last week, but I have a pretty good feeling I may match that number this week. (On a side note, I also have no idea what the hell's going on in this video.)



Download/Stream:
Julieta Venegas -
"Bien o Mal"

7 comments:

Henry Kleber said...

doesn't do it for me. pleasant enough - bubble gummy. but 45 minutes on repeat? yikes...

Gio said...

Hello from Houston! Just wanted to add that I completely know what you mean. Bien o mal is too addicting.

I've also spent the past week trying to buy her new CD (went to target, Ritmo Latino, Best Buy, etc)with no luck. Either sold out or not in stock! Hopefully though i'll have my copy of Otra Cosa by tomorrow.

Gio

Brendan Lupetin said...

Decent song. I can at least understand how it could get stuck in your head. It wouldn't get stuck in MY head but I can see where you are coming from.

I wonder who came up for the video idea to have girls blasting out butterfly gas. I am wondering if that is some sort of play off of "you think your shit don't stink?"

Roberto Cofresi said...

Do they say that in Mexico? Could be an interesting cultural linguistics essay.

RC Hopgood said...

I've been obsessed with JV for several years now. It is poppy and somewhat bubblegummy, but as opposed to all the other singer/writers mining the same territory, with this one, I can just tell she'd be fun to hang out with.

Anonymous said...

i'm addicted to this song as well.... for about 1 week now. 10 times a day at least. great stuff. you still listening to it?

Gina Chavez said...

I'm not quite as addicted to this song as I am to other Julieta classics, but she is a definite fave of mine. I could listen to her 2006 release, Limon y Sal, on repeat and never get sick of it. Thanks for the recommendation on Otra Cosa.