Friday, January 23, 2009

Silver Jews Call it Quits

In a post on the Silver Jews Bulletin Board yesterday entitled “Silver Jews End - Lead Singer Bids his Well-Wishers Adieu,” David Berman (or someone purporting to be him?) announced the end of his longtime band. In the somewhat cryptic initial announcement, Berman wrote:

“I guess I am moving over to another category. Screenwriting or Muckraking. I've got to move on. Can't be like all the careerists doncha know. I'm forty two and I know what to do. I'm a writer, see?”

In a strange, confessional later post, Berman expresses unwavering shame in his lobbyist father, and suggests that his art and music were intended as means to undo “…a millionth of all the harm [his father] has caused.” Wow. Anyway, Berman ends the post saying, “There needs to be something more. I'll see what that might be.”

I guess we’ll wait and see as well. Let’s hope the something more is more music. The biggest bummer is that I couldn’t make it to the show in Oakland last summer. Apparently now I never will.

"Strange Victory, Strange Defeat":
(zShare download)

Also, check out City Paper’s August ‘08
interview with Berman.

No comments: