Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Eulogies and more [WILL NOT BE] at Diesel on Friday

Of the Dears, Eulogies, and Great Northern, the only band I can speak of with any real familiarity is Eulogies, and as for them I can say I’m a big fan.

I’d heard a few tracks from the Homsepun Sessions before they opened for Good Night, States back in March. Unfortunately, I was running late that night and only caught the last two songs of their set. Nonetheless, I liked what I heard and bought a copy of the new CD, Here, Anonymous.

For about a month I kept the disc in my car and listened to it mostly on rainy nights, as I'd bought it on one such evening and it seemed to fit that mood nicely. Then one afternoon my girlfriend tossed it in on a sunny day while driving through the hills, and I couldn’t believe how great it sounded with the volume up and the windows down. Eulogies remind me of Sebadoh in that sense--their lo-fi feeling doesn’t lose brightness, and they can weave sounds that seem to mold to a setting. I have to think Lou Barlow would be a fan, too, and maybe he is for all I know.

But all I know is this: they play Diesel this Friday amidst a solid lineup. The problem is, of course, that Diesel holds concerts between about 7 and 10 p.m., before shutting down the music and throwing open the doors to welcome all good 'bags and 'baguettes in search of the Goose. That means that the Pens will be facing off against the Caps right about the time the show starts, which does not bode well for attendance. However, put one point in the "pros" column for the fact that Diesel will surely have the game on upstairs, so if you're in the 21-plus crowd get a seat between the TVs and the stage and multi-task your Friday entertainment.

As for the Dears and Great Northern, I like what I've heard and I’m looking forward to both. In particular, Great Northern's new disc is solid and refreshing. For more on both bands, see what the
Music Slut had to say about their performances earlier this week in NYC.

Download:
Great Northern – “Houses”


EDIT: As good old Anonymous has pointed out in the comments, this show appears to have been nixed. Per the Joker website:
The Dears
CANCELED
Plus Great Northern & Eulogies
Fri. May 8, 2009

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you have to worry about choosing. Appears the show was canceled.