Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A few words about The Hills finale which I will most likely immediately regret publishing

Kristin, can I just say something for a minute? Why did you have to grow up to be such a bitch? You totally carried Laguna Beach for two seasons with your mildly innocent scheming and comparatively unspoiled persona. Your drama was real(ish) and your heart was true.

Then came college. Remember when Stephen moved to San Fran and you guys would get together sometimes for those awkward, staged reunions? Those were the days. I had high hopes for you—both of you! Stephen even left SoCal. You two were really going to study some stuff and be somebodies.

I bailed on Season 3 (Tessa? Please.), and never could stomach The Hills. And then, like a dove, you returned this year, living in an impossibly awesome waterfront pad in the ‘Bu. Even so, I suppressed my envy and tuned in for you to bring a nostalgic smile to my face ever so occasionally this season. But it just isn’t the same.

First off, it appears you and young Stephen are now both struggling actors. Why, Kristin? Who am I supposed to look up to anymore? Heidi? God save us.

Then there was the matter of your newfound 'tude. I looked past it, hoping for the best, but all for not.

Even despite my disillusionment which saw this season through, I was so amped when that camera panned to those perfectly arranged blue lounges (the only ones on the whole beach) last night and we saw a shaggy brown-haired dude kicked back in one. Could it be...?

But no. It was Audrina’s dbag ex, who we both know will never make you as happy as Stephen did, no matter whether he dresses up as bro or biker. That damned Justin is the icing on my discontent.

One final thought: sooo glad LC’s gone. (H8ed her.)

Download/Stream:
Iron & Wine - "Such Great Heights"
Mates of State - "California"

1 comment:

Brendan Lupetin said...

I was a big fan of C-Cavs from the Laguna Beach days. I too am a bit put off by her new found nastiness.

However, I have to think that MTV, in an effort to spice up the show, urged her to take on the villain roll. Sadly, prior to this recent comeback, her career was seemingly dead in the water. Therefore, she was very likely to capitulate to MTV's request. I recognize that this theory suggests (gasp!) that The Hills is not completely candid. But there is just no other way to explain her transformation from angel to imp.