Monday, December 7, 2009

Random Commentor's Top Ten Albums of 2009


1. Washed Out- Life of Leisure



I don’t have the aural chops to rank my top 10 (read: “I’m lazy”). Therefore, 2-10 of my 2009 bestys are in no particular order. I was, however, capable of determining that Washed Out’s Life of Leisure was my favorite album of ‘09.

For the past several years I have been fixated on metal in its myriad forms. It took the “glo/fi” (or whatever it’s called these days) music movement to pull me from the mire that is modern-day metal, in particular Washed Out. It has been a long time since an album has imprinted in my ears in such way that it marked an era of my life -- like maybe since STP’s Core in summer of ’92 when I was 15 years old and secretly tortured by an inability to communicate to girls how I felt about them. Now I think I will always remember the summer of 2009 by the cooing feel of Life of Leisure. Though I think the glo/fi trend has a shelf life of like another year, Life of Leasure will long resonate with me as a time capsule.

2. Girls- Album
3. Animal Collective- Merriweather Post Pavilion
4. Converge- Axe to Fall
5. Baroness- Blue Album
6. Bibio- Ambivalence Avenue



7. Memory Tapes- Seek Magic



8. Isis- Wavering Radiant
9. Dan Deacon- Bromst
10. The Very Best- Esau Mwamwaya and Radioclit are the Very Best

2 comments:

Bowman-p said...

It's funny how you talk about Washed Out pulling you away from metal in 2009, but for me, Baroness's Blue Album pulled me toward metal more than any time in my life. Such an amazing album.

Brendan Lupetin said...

Yes, it is a tremendous album. Their earlier red album is very good as well.

I faded out of metal awhile back. Pantera's "Reinventing the Steel" being that last album i bought before like 2002. Then i happened to be reading a magazine called Life Sucks Die and they wrote an article about Mastodon (interestingly also from Atlanta GA like Baroness). I ran out and bought Remission and have been completely hooked on those guys ever since. But that and older metal was all I listened to.

Then in '06/07 I was introduced to the whole deathcore/screamcore scene that had emerged in the interim and, at first, thought it was pretty awesome. I remember All Shall Perish what I really liked at first. But then I quickly realized that whole genre of music was pretty limited in scope- a lot of these bands, unfortunately, began to sound a lot a like. This in turn prompted me, fairly recently, to begin listening to easier going alt stuff. Washed Out has been the highpoint for me so far as newer mellower music is concerned.

Not really sure where I am going with this or why anyone would care to read it but oh well its written so i am posting it. The Baroness album and the new Converge album is some of the best metal to come out in a looooong time.

Btw Bowman- is your blog going to cover mostly heavier bands?