Friday, February 20, 2009

Notes before the weekend

There’s a lot of great music in Western PA this weekend. If the suggestions at right don’t float your note, City Paper has the comprehensive listing here as always.

Me, I’m on my way to Washington for some Matt Ward and an opener I’d never heard before today, Vivian Girls. A few thoughts: my perusal of the mp3 aggregators shows nobody seems to be revved up about "Epistemology," which is without question my favorite track off Hold Time (which is admittedly stellar from start to finish). Am I missing something, or does this tune just kill it? Also, Vivian Girls are pretty sweet.

Also, Rolling Stone has it that the No Line on the Horizon leak this week wasn’t a leak at all—Universal’s Australian branch accidentally started selling the digital tracks two weeks early! Is that ridiculous? Yes. Almost as ridiculous as David Fricke’s five-star rating of the album. Due respect to Mr. Fricke, but this thing is no Joshua Tree. It’s not even All That You Can’t Leave Behind, which the Stone gave only four stars. Once again I must be missing something. Maybe my i-stethoscope just isn’t quite on the cultural heartbeat lately.

Downloads:
M. Ward – “Epistemology” (Mediafire link)
Vivian Girls – “Where Do You Run To?” (Mediafire link)
U2 - “No Line on the Horizon” (Mediafire link)

No comments: