Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Jay Reatard's Blood Vision Arrives in the 'Burgh

So when I heard that Jay Reatard was making a stop in Pittsburgh on November 23rd, I bought tickets the moment they went on sale. I had only seen video footage of his shows and I knew that this was the type of act that does not come to Pittsburgh very often. He is basically a punk rock throwback in terms of his aggression on stage and general surly behavior towards anyone who gets near him. Needless to say, knowing that the show was at Brillobox, and that crowd control would be at a minimum, I imagined that some black eyes and broken noses were a possibility.

Don't let the schtick fool you though, his songs are masterfully constructed and precise, both in the studio and in concert. Anyone who doesn't believe me should check out the song "My Shadow", which packs in so many catchy riffs and transitions into three minutes and 20 seconds it's sick.

Enough build up - I am pleased to report that Jay Reatard was just as good live as I imagined, which is to say, incredible. I stood about fifteen feet in front of him and was at the edge of the mosh-pit. There was no crowd control. At one point a dude got thrown into Jay's pedals and he stopped mid-song to ream the guy out.

He played a blistering set with almost no talking between songs, except to call out the name of the next song (which is what he typically does). He played a good mix of songs from Blood Visions and from his Matador Singles. His performances of "My Shadow", "Blood Visions", "It's So Easy" and "Hammer I Miss You" really cooked. I would guess that he played about 20 songs in 50 - 60 minutes and then finished without an encore.

After the set, Jay came back to the stage about five minutes later and my friend Dave and I started talking to him. He was a really nice guy and very gracious when we complimented him. He said this was his first time in Pittsburgh in 12 years of touring. We asked him if we could take him out and buy him a drink but he said he had to rest up for their show tonight in New York where he is opening for the Pixies. All in all, a great show and a cool dude.

Now I would be remiss if I did not mention the opening act - Kim Phuc. Probably the loudest band that I've ever heard. When the music started, the lead singer went into a zombie-like trance and started getting right into the faces of the people in the crowd - including myself. Towards the end of the first song, the lead singer started whipping the mic stand around and since I was directly in front of him he nailed me in the balls. It was at that point that I decided it was not in my best interest to stand at the very front any longer. There was also a terrible stench throughout the set, which added to the horror-show theme for the night.

Needless to say, I will not forget this show any time soon. I would rank it up there among the best shows that I've ever seen at Brillo, probably tied with the Clap Your Hands Say Yeah/Donora show from last year for best ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so sorry i hit you in the balls w/ the mike stand?i have no idea what im doing or what's happening untill we're done playing.thanks fer the shoutout in this review,tho!!
rob(zombie like trance guy)henry