Monday, November 16, 2009

A literary aside

I'm not sure what this is all about, but I'm seeing either a pure coincidence, a collective focus of contemplations, or just a weird marketing trend in the world of short fiction. Three books I'm hearing about are:
  • Barb Johnson's More of This World or Maybe Another;
  • Laura van der Berg's What the World Will Look Like When All the Water Leaves Us; and
  • Lori Ostlund's The Bigness of the World.

Ladies, I don't undertsand what's happening with the world and I have no idea what any of your stories might be about, but all of your titles intrigue me as phrases suggesting vague, profound things often do. I will read the first three to five pages of whichever of your books is in stock/most easily accessible at my local branch of the library, and then possibly read more.

No comments: