Friday, April 17, 2009

Big City Nights

I had a lunch meeting with a New Yorker the other day and I mentioned that I like living in Pittsburgh because of it's big-city-amenities on a relatively small scale. I added that I really don't feel like I live in a "city" at all. Not sure he got it but many of you probably do.

Take, for instance, the voyage I took Wednesday night:

I knew I wanted to check out the Good Night, States at the New Hazlett Theater - a venue I've been wanting to test-drive a rock show at for some months. But I also knew that Wednesday night was one of the few opportunities I'd have in the coming weeks to get down to PNC Park to personally kick off another season of Buccos baseball. Then there was the Pomegranates' show at Brillobox at 11pm - I'd been rocking out to them at my desk all day.

It came time to make a decision on the night's activities. Then it dawned on me - why not try and make it to all of them!? Better yet, why not bike to all of them!? In retrospect there were many reasons why not to embark on this cockamamie solo journey, but each of them only seemed to make the adventure more appealing.

To Recap:
Phase 1:


Phase 1:
The Good Night, States show at the Hazlett was as enjoyable as I'd hoped it'd be. The place can seat up to 600 or so people and I'd guess there were about 100 people there. So it felt a little empty. That sensation was augmented by the mgmt's curious decision to leave the houselights aglow throughout the show. But, per usual, GNS put on a tight performance complete with an atypical foray into 'tween song banter. It should be said that the acoustics in the Hazlett are impeccable for a space its size. I'm looking forward to seeing more shows there. The above shot of GNS was taken at the Hazlett by Isaac Gierard, a local photographer I met at the show whose work we hope to feature on SITKOT again.

Despite Isaac's declaration that Chicago's Anathallo, the headliner at the Hazlett (show picture below) is his favorite live act - I needed to journey onward and catch the Bucs on the Allegheny. From the looks of this photo, I really missed out, though.


Phase 2:
I arrived during the Pierogie race in the middle of the 5th inning (Hannah won). For a scalped $5 I was sitting 20 rows behind the visitors dugout. The Bucs were behind by 4 runs after our starter had tanked early on. They mounted a few efforts at coming back, getting late hits and leaving men on base, but ultimately didn't get it done. That didn't seem to matter to the announced crowd of 20k who must've consumed 80k $1 hot dogs if the concession lines and exhausted vendors were any indication. It's a sad thing when cheap soggy meat means more than the game. A few times it seemed like there were more people waiting for dogs than watching the game!

Adam LaRoche did jack a meaningless homer in the bottom of the 8th. It's nice to see him hitting before June. And it was nice to be back at the best MLB ballpark to see a game, even if it was an early season stinker featuring two of baseball's worst clubs.

Phase 3:
I was admittedly a little weary at the game's end, and although Roberto had indicated he might join me for the last leg of my tour - Brillobox - he bailed. I persevered. Up to Larryville's Brillo I pedaled.

The Pomegranates were just sound checking when I rolled in. Each of the four band members were clad in brown jumpsuits with puff-painted slogans on the back. They announced that this was the first stop of a 30 stop, nationwide tour. I hope they intend to wear those jumpers at every show along the way. They'd make for great mannequin dressing at a Hard Rock Cafe in about 15 years.

The sound mix on openers "Sleepover" and "Corriander" was a little muddled and they seemed very uncertain as to what note and song they'd play next. But, things really started to pick up around the middle of their hour-long set. The show was primarily a tour of their new album, Everybody, Come Outside! (Lujo) which had just been released Tuesday.

Swapping instruments and roles throughout, they got increasingly comfortable and by the final three songs - "Beachcomber", "Everybody Come Outside" and "Southern Ocean" - they'd become a new favorite of mine. The enthusiastic, experimental nature of their live act was infectious. I couldn't help but roar with laughter when they punctuated "ECO" with unisoned crow-sounds. They make great use of a toy megaphone and smooth 'tween song transitions with an ambient noise machine. Be sure to catch them when they roll into a town near you. I'm looking at you Boise - they're amped to play your stop!

Conclusion:
My three stop solo-adventure was exactly what I'd hoped it'd be. A 6-hour feat of endurance and enjoyment to tune me up for a summer of shows, ballgames, biking and fun. But more than that, it was a reminder of why this is a great town for people who like to do stuff and see things.

No comments: