Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Dylan HuffPo interview

Here's the fourth installment in the conversation with Bill Flanagan we mentioned previously. There's some really some interesting stuff in here:

Asked about favorite songwriters, the first one that comes to mind: Jimmy Buffet

Other favorites: Gordon Lightfoot, Warren Zevon, Randy Newman, John Prine, and Guy Clark.

On why he doesn't play his songs live the way they sound on record: I couldn't if I tried.... Daltrey, Townshend, McCartney, the Beach Boys, Elton, Billy Joel. They made perfect records, so they have to play them perfectly ... exactly the way people remember them. My records were never perfect. So there is no point in trying to duplicate them. Anyway, I'm no mainstream artist.

HuffPo: But you've sold over a hundred million records.
Dylan: Yeah I know. It's a mystery to me too.

Dylan's new album will be out April 28, and features several songs co-written by longtime Grateful Dead lyricist Robert Hunter.

No comments: