Tuesday, April 7, 2009

"Take that, Andrew Bird" -Leonard Cohen

Any of you on your way to see Andrew Bird tonight are probably well aware that you’re in for a night filled with whistling. And not to downplay Bird’s virtuoso grill, but I’ll be very impressed if he spends just a minute of wind on his hands tonight, as Leonard Cohen does in this performance of "One of Us Cannot Be Wrong" from his 1968 BBC broadcast. I’m also posting “Story of Isaac” because it’s at the end of that track that he discusses playing his hands in a little digression I particularly enjoy:

I play hands at a crucial point in this song. When my hands leave the guitar, don't become alarmed, they’re just about to journey to my mouth where I will begin to play hands. Just because you see my hands leave the guitar there's no reason to become alarmed, throw yourself into despair or anything... It will happen at a certain point and I'm just trying to warn you because I know, I didn't warn, I was just playing for a friend once and my hands left the guitar and he's in a catatonic state, he has not been able to move since... It ruined his life. You know, if all of you would sit here until the place is taken over by the technicians or students or something, it would just be terrible.

You can buy Leonard’s new album, Live in London, here. It’s worth it, as is most everything he’s released.


Download:
Leonard Cohen - "Story of Isaac" (Mediafire link)
Leonard Cohen - "One of Us Cannot be Wrong" (Mediafire link)

2 comments:

sophia said...

my god, the show was AMAZING. i hated that i couldn't stand up and dance. why couldn't they have picked a better venue? :(

Roberto Cofresi said...

Amazing indeed. I prefer the music hall to the other sit-down venues around town, but it was a real bummer when security put the kibosh on everyone dancing up front. I thought Mr. Bird might step in Kevin Bacon-style and let them dance on, but no dice.